The Los Angeles Lakers are favored to win the 2021 title, as FanDuel has a +270 line while DraftKings lists them at +300. Some of the team’s players are also appealing NBA picks for the MVP title, with Anthony Davis having a +750 line and LeBron James being not too far off at +1200.
But why are the Lakers the top team among all the NBA picks out there? Let’s look at a few reasons why you should consider choosing the Lakers to win in 2021.
Restoring the Roster
Every reigning NBA champion experiences some roster turnover, and the Lakers are no exception. Rajon Rondo, Dwight Howard, and JaVale McGee all left the Lakers. But they also brought in a few great new players:
- Montrezl Harrell was the Sixth Man of the Year last season for the Los Angeles Clippers. He averaged about seven rebounds a game last year.
- Wesley Matthews is joining the Lakers from the Milwaukee Bucks. He is one of the more active three-point shooters out there today.
- Marc Gasol is coming in from the Toronto Raptors. Gasol is an appealing defensive force that will contribute to the Lakers.
The Schroder Factor
The Lakers acquired Dennis Schroder from Oklahoma City Thunder this offseason. The Lakers traded Danny Green and their first-round draft pick to acquire Schroder, who is a talented team player who averages about nineteen points a game. Expect him to be an appealing addition.
A Two-Man MVP Race
The Lakers are among the best NBA picks over how the team has two of the top MVP candidates. Anthony Davis and LeBron James both averaged about 27 points per game last postseason. They also averaged close to ten rebounds per game each in the Orlando bubble.
CLOSING TIME!! Amazing stat 💜💛👑 https://t.co/qYVnbuGXGB
— LeBron James (@KingJames) November 1, 2020
Look At the Rest of the Division
The Los Angeles Lakers are also favorites because they play in a division that they can easily dominate. You can notice this by looking at the other four teams in the Pacific Division, who might not provide as much competition this year as you might think:
- It is unclear as to how the Clippers will compete with new coach Tyronn Lue.
- The Golden State Warriors are led by Stephen Curry, who hardly played last season.
- The Phoenix Suns only reached the Orlando bubble last year through an eight-game winning streak at the sudden end of the regular season. Whether they can continue that momentum is debatable.
- The Sacramento Kings lost Bogdan Bogdanovic to Atlanta, hurting a team struggling to return to the playoffs.
The Los Angeles Lakers’ talented roster, the team’s outstanding leadership, and the uncertainly surrounding the rest of the Pacific Division make the Lakers one of the best NBA picks you can make in 2021. Look at this team and how they have a strong chance to win their second consecutive NBA title.
*Odds correct at time of publication.
Still looking for more NBA info? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Just visit our NBA hub page for all the information you need.
Image by: Pixy